Friday, August 20, 2010

Masigun, Roxas, Isabela -- Community Service


While the day care center lacked in size, the people within the building definitely did not lack in spirit. The community service activity was a nice break from the hectic schedule of my study stay in Roxas. However, little did I know that the trip to Masigun would be a preview to the mission and vision of another microfinance institution I would be visiting, Alalay sa Kaunlaran, Inc. (ASKI). A leader in the social performance aspect of microfinance, ASKI goes beyond microfinance, seeking to build and develop communities through service and education. There will be more to come about my visit to ASKI in future blog posts.


The children weren't the only ones receiving some presents. The teacher also received some supplies to help educate the children as well as organize the day care center's day to day activities. When I looked at the vivid posters covered with addition problems and the classroom's helpers for the week, I was reminded of my own kindergarten experience and the importance of establishing a sturdy foundation for learning.




Some of the more outgoing children show off their new books and supplies. These children appreciated everything they were given, even if the gifts were school supplies and bible coloring books. However, the parents also expressed their gratitude, returning wide smiles and hugs as I passed along the food and supplies.


In addition to observing the workings of microfinance, I set aside some time for community service. Working with the local Rotary Club, I distributed some school supplies and food to children at a local day care center in barangay Masigun, Roxas. Even though I was once again required to wake up at an early hour, arriving at the day care center and seeing the children definitely lifted up my spirits.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome JR. Hope you learn a lot from it. See you at school

    ReplyDelete