Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Trip to the South

In front of Santo Nino's Basilica. Santo Nino is the patron saint of Cebu.

Some whole shrimp in garlic sauce. The seafoods were delectable in Cebu and specifically in Mactan Island.

This is Magellan's Shrine located in Mactan Island.

My cousin and I ponder beside the sea.

Despite the tiresome traveling and early hours, the first week of my study visit in the Philippines was a success. I was thrilled to be able to participate in Mallig Plains’ operations as well as acquire a wealth of information from which I could learn more specific details about the bank’s microfinance services.

However, the trip did leave some room for relaxation. Knowing that week two would present another relentless schedule of traveling and studying with ASKI, I knew I would need some time to recharge. Over the weekend, my cousin’s uncle, who happens to be an executive at one of the Philippines’ mainstream banks, treated us with a trip to the southern island of Cebu, which is a tourist hot spot known for its white sand beaches, delicious seafood and historic landmarks.

For example, circumnavigator Ferdinand Magellan landed in Cebu during his historic journey around the world. Unfortunately, his journey would end in Cebu as well when an indigenous tribal chief named Lapu Lapu slain Magellan in the Battle of Mactan. Lapu Lapu is now recognized as the first Philippine hero and the fish Lapu Lapu, which is a local delicacy in Cebu, has been named after him.

The trip was a beautiful way to enjoy the Philippines’ rich culture beyond the main island of Luzon. When we returned to Manila that Sunday, I was refreshed and ready to resume my summer signature work.

No comments:

Post a Comment