Saturday, September 4, 2010

ASKI 2


The gentleman to left is Mr. Rolando B. Victoria, Executive Director of ASKI. Known as "the Boss" around ASKI, Mr. Victoria rarely stopped by the office due to traveling around the Philippines and Asia in order to attend microfinance seminars and meetings. I knew I was lucky that he was at the office and I couldn't leave Cabanatuan City without meeting him.

After his meeting with the visitors with Cambodia, I went to his office and he instantly opened the door and welcomed me. I was nervous at first, knowing his significance not only in ASKI but also in microfinance throughout Asia. Surprisingly, when he began to talk, I felt more comfortable and he seemed like any other Filipino adult I've met before. He talked passionately about the purpose of ASKI and told me in an instructing tone to get my friends involved back at Peddie. Right then I knew that my Summer signature had to become more than a presentation to the community; it would have to play a role within the community. After all, Peddie and microfinance share a common goal of respect and service. Therefore, by introducing the two, I knew I could create a potent combination filled with students and teachers eager to combat poverty. It would take a lot of work, but meeting Mr. Victoria proved that the ends will justify the means in microfinance.


Another shot of the ASKI Cabanatuan branch. Opposed to Mallig Plains Rural Bank, ASKI is not a bank. Although it operates five different business units, which include insurance and training in both business and social aspects, ASKI does not offer the traditional services of a bank, including a savings account. It is one of ASKI's future plans to institutionalize a banking sector by 2012. As the plan suggests, ASKI continues to grow.



Another picture with Mr. Victoria and two visitors from Credit MFI in Cambodia.

One unique aspect of the Cabanatuan branch: it has its own convenience store located right below the offices. However, the products seen here come from ASKI clients. Going beyond food and drink, the store also sells clothing, decorations and souvenirs that were created by clients. ASKI actively helps its clients through this convenience stores and other methods due to the Marketing Cooperative, one of ASKI's business units. Through Marketing Coop, ASKI provides its clients with strategies and opportunities to bring their goods to the market.


This is the general meeting room where Morning Devotion and other events are held.

No comments:

Post a Comment